Experts offer their top tips on handling holiday diet temptations.
exerpted from a WebMD weight loss clinic feature by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
To help you survive the seasonal parties without packing on the pounds, WebMD consulted diet gurus across the country for their best holiday diet tips. Here are their top 10 recommendations:
1. Trim back the trimmings.To shave calories, go easy when adding nuts, cheese, cream sauces, gravy, butter, and whipped cream.
2. Wear snug clothes and keep one hand busy. Hold a drink in your dominant hand so it won't be so easy to grab food.
3. Chew gum. When you don't want to eat, pop a piece of sugarless gum into your mouth. This works well when you're cooking or when you're trying not to dive into the buffet.
4. Be a food snob. If you don't love it, don't eat it, And don't think it's your responsibility to sample everything on the buffet.
5. No skipping meals. "People who skip meals to save up calories tend to overeat everything in sight once they get there," says Katherine Tallmadge, MA, RD, author of Diet Simple.
6. Check it out. When you arrive at the party, grab a sparkling water with a twist, and wait at least 30 minutes before eating.
7. Add fun and games. Take the focus off food and getting family and friends more active during holiday parties.
8. Alternate alcohol with nonalcoholic beverages. Cuts calories in half.
9. Skip the appetizers. If you need a little nibble before the meal, go for the veggies, fruit, salsa, or a small handful of nuts.
10. Limit the variety. "Variety stimulates appetite...limit your choices to just a few items and stick with these, it will be easier to control than eating a little bit of 20 different dishes" according to David Katz, MD, MPH, author of The Flavor Point Diet.
Click here to read the full story at WebMD.com
Fitness Articles for You
Until now, most training programs have been based mainly on the experiences and goals of body builders, coaches and athletes. There's ap...
Whether your goal is to improve performance, slim down, cut-up, bulk-up, reduce risk of injury or work around a problem area, a carefully c...
We're on track for ta hot summer, and with everybody sweating more, many of you have asked about hydration and fluid replacement strat...
SUPERSET CIRCUIT TRAINING: THE NEW YORK STYLE WORKOUT by Cary Raffle Pro Trainer, New York Sports Clubs, NASM Certified Personal Trainer Co...
If you think that paying the price for super-premium products is a way to avoid ingredients WE don't want - like corn syrup - think agai...
Whether you're new to the gym, returning after a break, or resolved to bust through a plateau and take your fitness to a new le...
If you feel like you've been stretching a tight muscle forever and not making progress, you're not alone. Most people do static str...