The truth is, each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Free weights advantages:
- incorporate the stabilizing muscles
- tend to more closely match the movement patterns you're likely to need
- are more versatile.
Free weights disadvantages:
- you must learn to balance the weight ... this can be potentially dangerous
- to target the muscle you want, you must use very precise technique
- free weights can be swung for momentum rather than lifted slowly and steadily, which works the muscles better
- training alone can lead to injury
- generally safer and easier to use, an advantage for beginners
- some machines are more efficient than free weights at isolating
- machines ensure correct movements for a lift which helps prevent cheating when muscle fatigue sets in
- Most machines involve moving a weight along a predetermined path, making it difficult to strengthen the stabilizer muscles
- Most machines are geared to the average- sized person
Experienced exercisers may want to use free weights because of the additional training benefits they offer. That said, the combination of both free weights and machines can add variety to your workout. Using machines may also be easier and less discouraging if you’re a novice, because free weights require some coordination to use. To read the full story from the American Council on Exercise, click here.
Fitness Articles for You
Until now, most training programs have been based mainly on the experiences and goals of body builders, coaches and athletes. There's ap...
Whether your goal is to improve performance, slim down, cut-up, bulk-up, reduce risk of injury or work around a problem area, a carefully c...
If you think that paying the price for super-premium products is a way to avoid ingredients WE don't want - like corn syrup - think agai...
Whether you're new to the gym, returning after a break, or resolved to bust through a plateau and take your fitness to a new le...
We're on track for ta hot summer, and with everybody sweating more, many of you have asked about hydration and fluid replacement strat...
SUPERSET CIRCUIT TRAINING: THE NEW YORK STYLE WORKOUT by Cary Raffle Pro Trainer, New York Sports Clubs, NASM Certified Personal Trainer Co...
In this issue, six simple tips about the things that don't work and alternative that do to help you get the most out of your effor...
If you feel like you've been stretching a tight muscle forever and not making progress, you're not alone. Most people do static str...